The Food Section (www.thefoodsection.com)
Editor & Publisher (2003-present)
- Created award-winning website covering New York and national food news, travel, culinary trends, ingredients, events, recipes, and cooking techniques;
- Author articles, event listings, gift guides, and photo essays;
- Assign and edit contributions by guest writers and freelancers;
- Attract significant media recognition, including mentions in Food & Wine, Gourmet, nytimes.com, Times of London, Bon Appétit, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Time, Yahoo!, and the New York Daily News;
- Appear on local and national media outlets.
- Built site traffic to generate more than 100,000 page views monthly;
- Edit and design weekly email newsletter to mailing list with more than 2,500 subscribers.
Hospital for Special Surgery
Director of Communications (2001-2007)
- Managed all aspects of corporate, marketing, and development communications—from strategic planning to editing, writing, and design of publications and production of videos—for this internationally renowned orthopedic hospital;
- Supervised Senior Development Associate and administrative staff, freelance writers, photographers, and designers to produce annual report, newsletters, brochures, web content, fact sheets, and flyers;
- Headed hospital-wide communications team to coordinate marketing, communications, public education, and public affairs initiatives across departments;
- Created all branding and communications for $110 million fundraising campaign for research, including four-color campaign newsletter and collateral materials;
Assistant Director, Communications and Government Affairs (1999-2001)
- Coordinated all government relations: researched and wrote proposals for government support, served as liaison with public officials, coordinated political consultants, convened meetings, and coordinated all board participation in government initiatives;
- Developed proposal for National Center for Musculoskeletal Research, raising over $9 million from Congress, New York State, and New York City to fund capital expansion of research facilities.
Development Writer (1998-1999)
- Responsible for conceptualizing and developing major grant proposals to foundations, corporations, and individual donors to fund research, community service, and international outreach programs.
New York Association for New Americans, Inc. (NYANA)
Communications Associate (1995-1998)
- Responsible for all areas of publications development for NYANA, a refugee resettlement agency: developed press kits, wrote brochures and flyers, and formulated public education materials;
- Planned, researched, and authored The Lamp Beside the Golden Door, a 250-page book about the history of NYANA developed for the agency’s 50th anniversary;
- Created Building America’s Business, a video profiling immigrant entrepreneurs: identified interview subjects, conducted interviews, and supervised consultants during all phases of production and editing;
- Contributed original content to NYANA’s website, including interviews, research, and photography.
Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law (2000-2001)
Editorial consultant/ghost writer for book of personal essays about Supreme Court Justice William J. Brennan, Jr.—edited essays, conducted research and interviews, composed original essays, and provided editorial consultation on manuscript organization, photography, and book design.
Linda Errante Public Relations, Inc. (1999-2000)
Developed brochures, wrote newsletter articles, and contributed to annual reports for non-profit clients including Hunter College, Continuum Health Partners, and Long Island College Hospital.
Environmental and Energy Study Conference, United States Congress (1992)
Planned, researched and moderated a panel discussion for congressional staff on waste management and recycling legislation; Researched environmental issues and laws.
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (1991)
Researched and wrote reports for the Human Rights and Africa Project based on interviews and congressional hearings; Wrote opinion article for the Christian Science Monitor on Bush administration foreign policy.
- “Olive Foodie Traveller: New York City,” Olive (October 2006)
- “Olio Nuovo,” Bene (Fall 2006)
- “Pizza Rivalries,” Time Out New York (June 29, 2006)
- “Pig is Big,” T: Living (The New York Times Style Magazine) (November 2005)
- “Eating,” Washington Post Book World (October 23, 2005)
- “Roundtable: The French Paradox,” The Morning News (March 28, 2005)
- “The Art of the Cure,” The Morning News (June 22, 2004).
- The Lamp Beside the Golden Door: The Story of the New York Association for New Americans (New York: NYANA Press, 1999)
- “The Founding of NYANA: An Historical Overview,” Journal of Jewish Communal Service (Fall 1998)
- “The U.S. Neglects Oil-Rich Africa at Its Peril,” Christian Science Monitor (June 27, 1991)
University of California, Los Angeles Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
M.A. Political Science, September 1996. Concentration in International Relations and Comparative Politics.
- Qualifying Paper: “Firms, Franchising and Political Party Organization: Incentives for Decentralization in Candidate Selection.”
University of California, Los Angeles
B.A. Political Science, June 1991 (Dean’s Honor List; UCLA Political Science Honor Society; Student Research Program in History; UCLA Center for American Politics and Public Policy Quarter in Washington Program).